(541) 469-2425
Search Curry Transfer & Recycling's Website


What is Household Hazardous
Waste (HHW)?

Some leftover or used household products contain chemicals that can present safety concerns if not managed properly. These products are often called household hazardous waste (HHW) and can include items like:

  • Corrosive cleaners (such as drain cleaner and lye-based oven cleaner)
  • Fluorescent light bulbs (including CFLs)
  • Fuels (gasoline, propane, diesel)
  • Mercury
  • Paints (oil-based or some anti-mildew latex)
  • Pesticides
  • Pool chlorine and acid
  • Wood stains or varnishes

Curry Transfer Recycling Household Hazardous Waste

What do I do with my HHW?

Coos and Curry County have a joint HHW program offering collection events throughout the year. By appointment, items can be dropped off at the Beaver Hill Disposal Site north of Bandon. Curry will have one event each year generally in August. For more information about the events, schedules, and location, click here.

Small commercial generators may be able to take advantage of a drop off by special arrangement with the contractor handling the event. Contact information will be available at CTR prior to the event.

To protect both yourself and the workers who accept your HHW at a collection site, follow some basic guidelines and tips for storage, transportation, and care of your material:

  • Keep products in their original container and make sure labels are readable. This ensures you know which products you have and so do the workers who accept and sort your HHW.
  • Store and transport your chemicals upright, not on their sides. Make sure if you are taking HHW to a facility or event, that you have secured it in your vehicle and it is not leaking – it can be dangerous if leaking containers of incompatible chemicals mix.
  • NEVER mix products together. This can be dangerous, even deadly.
  • Keep chemicals in a cool, dry place out of reach of children and pets.

These items are accepted at the HHW events however, our transfer sites accept them all year long.

  • Used Motor Oil
  • Vehicle Batteries
  • Florescent Bulbs

Latex paint is accepted at Cascade Home Center and Gold Beach Lumber. For more details on the PaintCare program, click here.

Medical waste cannot be accepted at HHW events. For disposal options, click here.

Managing HHW in your Home

You can decrease the HHW in your own home by using some simple guidelines:

REDUCE the amount of HHW you keep in your house:

  • Buy only what you need to do the job. Buying chemicals in bulk may not be saving you money if you do not use all of them.
  • Consider using alternative household products that do not contain hazardous materials.
  • For painting projects, know the size of your area and use an online paint calculator to determine how many gallons you should buy.

Think REUSE:

  • Pass on your unexpired chemicals or paint in good condition to friends, relatives, or neighbors who can use them! Doing this will save time and money for yourself and others.
  • Antifreeze is nonhazardous, however many programs that collect HHW and/or used oil will also accept antifreeze. Some automotive shops also take used antifreeze for recycling.
  • Consider energy efficient LED bulbs to replace CFLs when appropriate.

Empty plastic containers that held cleaners or chemicals can be recycled as other similar plastics. Before recycling, first triple rinse your empty container.